Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Out With the Old, In With the New...

Ah, it's the beginning of a new year!  A time for reflection and plans, plans for a better more fruitful year ahead.  A time to let go of unwanted habits and adopt new ones.  Resolutions will be made and resolutions will be broken, it's the cycle of life.  The year 2013 brought about so many new and wonderful events and some we would rather forget.  I have been thinking about some of the things I would like to keep and some of the things...well, that I could do without.

Vocabulary

2013 offered some interesting new words, like selfie, twerking, cray cray, and hashtag.  I read something the other day that said the "selfie" was making us narcissistic.  No way!  Do you mean to tell me making fish lips and taking a picture of yourself to post online so that everyone can tell you that you look hot is a sign of narcissism??  Nooooooooooo...But that is not my concern with the selfie, my concern with the selfie is all of the pictures I observe with disgusting scum on the bathroom tile behind them.  Here's a word for your vocabulary...bleach! 

The one word that I detest, that makes me cringe, that drives me insane...grrrrrrrrrrr...twerking.  Argh I hate that word!  I hate the act of it, I hate the sound of it, and I hate that Miley Cyrus had to ingrain that image into my mind.  Shiver!  Dancing should be a flow, a beautiful sexy movement; not your rear end gyrating inexplicably.  Ew. 

Hashtag...what an interesting concept.  A concept that was originally meant to categorize a status on Twitter, but has now become a form of communication on all correspondence.  I don't understand the use of hashtags outside of the Twitter world, it confuses me, and I have a hard time reading phrases without spaces so please make this go away!  #makemeinsane #stophashtags #bloggingopinionsrock #amItooold

I love the word cray cray.  It embarrasses my kids when I use it.  I love to drive my kids cray cray.  #embarassingmom #craycrayrules

Television

Is it just me or is creativity dead?  Everything that you see new on television is some kind of new reality show.  Now I don't dislike all of them, but some of them are just getting out of hand.  I remember when the concept first came out with Survivor, Cops, and Amazing Race.  I still like Cops and I like the similar show The First 48, this is closer to reality.  I do not keep up with the music shows but the concept seems fair and understandably entertaining.  But seriously...Monsters Inside Me...I can't even watch the previews without taking a dose of antibiotic.  Then there is Amish Mafia...really?  I imagine a dude in a black brim hat and a woman in a bonnet speaking over me in German dialect and threatening me with a sharp icicle...or maybe a knife that they made themselves...without power tools.  I saw a commercial for an upcoming series, Sex Sent Me to the ER.  Apparently, I have been doing it wrong all of these years...

What I am looking forward to is Season 3 of Sherlock!  I...love...this...program!!  I am ready to celebrate January 19th as though it is my birthday!  I haven't been this excited about a series since Northern Exposure in the early 90's.  Now THAT is good television!  This also tells me that I am getting old.

Kindle or Books?

This is a serious question for many people.  Do you give up the feel of a good book for the technology and convenience of a Kindle.  I am wishy-washy on this because I like both.  For Christmas I received the book Nine Stories by J.D. Salinger and I love owning it, seeing his name on it, and knowing that my kids and husband picked it out and knew I would like it.  Books are awesome!  Open up an old book and inhale deeply...intoxicating.  On the flip side, going on vacation and packing some reading material, you cannot beat having all of your books in one handy tablet to slide into your suitcase or purse.  A suitcase full of books is heavy.  I don't like heavy.  I am on the fence with this one, just call me Charlie Brown.

We look at the world around us and want to throw out the junk and hold on to the treasures.  We do the same for ourselves.  I am hoping that next year when I am reflecting on 2014, I am healthier, skinnier, smarter, and kinder.  I also hope I am not twerking or taking a selfie with moldy tiles.



No comments:

Post a Comment