Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Thoughts...

It's that time of year again.  Usually, I like to write a silly thought or observation about the holiday season.  This year, however, I just can't find it in my heart to do so.  I read the headlines and see the arguments on Facebook and it is just too difficult to make light of any of it.  So I won't.

I found myself caught up in the "Duck Dynasty" scandal and getting all in a tither over it.  I mean it has everything...freedom of speech, freedom of religion, gay rights...  It is an absolute gold mine for debate. It has made me think and I have learned so much from it, but, I'm not going to write about that.

I read the headlines and they are covered with child abuse, rape, violence, murder, drugs.  I read them and wonder to myself if the entire moral fiber of mankind has completely disappeared.  It all haunts and disturbs me.  I'm not going to write about that either.

Christmas is four days away.  We are stressed, we are angry, we are fed up.  In June 1994, I lost a very dear friend of mine suddenly.  His death left me heartbroken.  I remember that following Christmas being in the mall doing my Christmas shopping when a carol came over the speaker that touched me deeply.  I had to leave the store to find a quiet place to weep.  The song reminded me of how I longed for a simpler time.  A time when my worries and fears and sadness were not in the forefront of my mind.  That song is what I want to share with you...

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Let your heart be light.
From now on,
Our troubles will be out of sight.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas,
Make the yule-tide gay.
From now on,
Our troubles will be miles away.

Here we are as in olden days,
Happy golden days of yore.
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more.

Through the years we all will be together,
If the fates allow.
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough.
And have yourself, a merry little Christmas now.

I wish you Peace, I wish you Love, and of course, I wish you a merry little Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment