Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I'm Not Good at Sharing...

My parents tried to teach me and I have tried to teach my kids the art...of sharing!  Share, share, share...don't be greedy...give up your favorite toy to little Bobby who will probably break the darn thing.  It's for your own good!!  I believe the point is to try and teach us to not be self absorbed, to give to our fellow man.   I mean, we really can't be expected to share everything?  Can we?!  If I have a brand new Jaguar...I will give you a ride, but you won't get my keys.  Go get your own!!  I do try to give to charities when I can.  I enjoy giving my time and volunteering.  But when I get a plate full of delicious food...keep your hands off or I'll stab you with my fork!  I'm not always very good at sharing. 

Sharing can be good for the soul but sometimes...its just hard.  I have shared custody of my children with their dad.  This is different from the traditional joint custody.  With shared custody, parents share time with their kids equally.  This means I get my kids 50% of the time...50%!  The thought process behind this is that kids will not be slighted the chance to have both parents in their life, or in other words, we failed at marriage but want to keep you in as traditional a home as possible.  It is impossible to understand what this is like unless you have gone thru it.  I miss half of my kids life...Half!  If someone asks me if my son eats meatloaf...I don't really know.  I mean he doesn't eat it at my house, but maybe he eats it at his dad's.  I don't know, but I should know.  If someone says, "What did your daughter wear to school today?"  I don't know.  I have no idea how she wore her hair...or what color shirt she had on...none.  I don't know, but I should know.  They have another home, their own room, a closet full of clothes, that I know nothing about.  Nothing.  Time doesn't slow down for half...they continue to grow up too fast and I want to savor every minute.  But I can't...for I must share.  I'm not very good at sharing...  

No comments:

Post a Comment